Saturday, November 7, 2009

Post-Op day 2

I woke up with horrible stomach cramps, feeling wrecked! Ray stopped by as I was just finished breakfast – my phone battery died so I asked him if he could charge it for me. We were signing away in ISL when NFH appeared. She just stood there watching us warily. Ray then signed ‘I think your new friend thinks we are talking about her...’ I responded ‘don’t care, let her think that!’

NFH made a big show of checking my wristband every time I was due to get my medication (none of the other nurses did this – just asked me my name or DOB), joking at her to ease the tension that I was hardly going to be different identity every time but NFS replied dourly ‘Its regulations we have to check every time’ Lovely beside manner hasn’t she (!)

The Ward Doctor and Surgeon Team called around to confirm they are happy with my progress I can go home on Monday. YAY!!!!

I’ve a discharge letter to give to my GP for priority request to get the Swine Flu vaccine. I’m not allowed back to work without it; clarifying with Ward Doctor about the myths surrounding the vaccine – she put my mind at ease declaring them all to be ‘Bullshit!’ Asking when I would be allowed back to work – the doctor says when I feel fit but no driving for at least 14 days post-op, meaning back to work on or about Thursday 19th November – as I need my car for work.

Jenny popped in after lunch looking a million dollars with her snazzy new haircut and bringing me the best thing ever – hair bobbles to tie my matted hair back up! She’s considering the CI herself... and had thousands of questions to ask!

Catherine came around in the afternoon with this huge box from Cochlear containing the processor, warrantee, carry bag, DVD etc. Some things are missing and will be given to me on the switch on date. We chatted about the AB-v-Cochlear choice being unavailable and she apologised that the choice was not available not just for me but for 3-4 other patients recently. But if I was insistent on getting silver (red, blue or green even!) processor, multi-coloured covers or re-chargeable batteries - I can order it especially from Cochlear in UK, paying the cost myself; will look into this for sure! When Catherine handed me my letter confirming the official switch on I was dismayed to discover the date had been set for 13th January 2010! Eeek! Work won’t be too impressed as that the whole month (4 weeks block Tues-Thurs) is booked up with our ISL film project for Department of Social, Family & Community Affairs! I actually asked for this to be pushed out to January as I assumed I’d be tied up with my operation in November, then week off for CI switch-on, mapping appointments etc, in December. As this is a very important project - I be in the dog house if I re-changed the entire project dates again! Urgh!

Mum brought in both children to visit me; Mum used to work in Beaumont, she wanted to go down to the various sections that she used to work in but they had all left early to attend the protest march in City. The kids ate all the mandarin oranges, blew up rubber gloves and jumped away on the bed and stared at my scar, as NFH strode up and down watching with pursed lips. The Ward Sister came in and cooed over them, asking their names, if they rubbed their hands with the disinfectant gel, etc. Théa demonstrated how they used it both coming in and going out. Cal confirmed his dad gave him the money for his Tae Kwon Do competitions (that man is a saint) and told me about all the people in his class going to his new school (Callan got accepted into the second level school he really wanted to go to... his dad and I had reservations, but once he’s happy, we are happy) Mum came back and took them home. I miss them so much!

One hour later I got a lovely text from Catherine confirming a new set of dates in December, means Switch on 1 & 2 will be a week apart on 4th & 11th December with various other mapping on 16th and 22nd (TBC) along with confirmation for January dates to be on Monday or Fridays. Hey I’m happy to accept this than change the project dates again! Just sent a text to my manager to book them all off for me before the other staff members get their dates in the leave book!

Happy days! I even smiled at our dour NFH this evening as she stuck her temperature probe right into my ear in her usual rough manner!

Gerdi just text to say she’s on her way in to visit! More juicy gossip plus House and Gray’s Anatomy for watching later... ye think I’d have enough of hospitals at this stage?! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment