Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Greetings from the hospital bed!

Yes I’m here already! I shouldn’t have spoken too son, eh?! LOL! What a mad panic today was! I slept in having drifted to sleep sometime around 4:30am. My son called me at 7:45am... groan!

Getting up, I discovered that my four year old daughter had gotten ill in the night and instead of waking me she got into the bed beside me, with a trail of vomit from her bed to mine! URGH! By the time I cleaned up, got washed dressed etc. Hopped into car with my son, I drove him to school (15 mins late...) then sped off in the direction of Kildare where I had my first morning appointment at 10am. Or so I thought.

Upon realising it was actually at 10:30am, I decided to stop off at Kildare Outlet and do some PTCs for the video diary. A security guard kindly pointed me in the direction of the site management office to seek permission which took aaagggggeeesss. Then I had to dash for my appointment!

I left my phone in the car during the visit, which ended at 12:15pm. Once back in the car I noticed I had 5 missed calls and 6 messages(!) From work, au pair at home, my mum and Beaumont Hospital. I was to go in at 1:30pm! My bed was ready! Arrrragh!

Flying back down the M/N7 to Dublin, I text Ray to give him the update and see if he was available to bring me or should I get a taxi? He replied that he was bringing me in and would take his lunch hour to do it. Dropping files and stuff off at my work, gave up trying to set my out-of-office note (my PC froze!) I sprinted down the M50 to my house to drop off car, grab my bag. The lights on the M50/N3 roundabout were out causing a huge jam. Once home I checked on my daughter (running a temperature now.... gulp!) and gave her medicine. It was 2pm by the time I was finally on my way to the hospital!

On arrival I was sent to St Anne’s Ward. The nurse brought me over to two empty beds and asked me to pick one; I choose the one beside the window that had a lovely view of a beech tree: Bed 16. I am sharing the room with four auld ladies! My nurse also informed me I had missed dinner and tea wouldn’t be until 5pm. Realising how hungry I was, I set off to the cafe and treated myself to lasagne and salad. Came back to the ward and met the doctor who gave me a through going over, questioned my medical history, family traits, take bloods etc. Ray, who had dropped me at the hospital door then went back to work earlier, came in to see how I was before he headed off home. The surgical team popped by to say hello, that they will see me in the Morning. I asked what time would it be, the young female doctor who introduced herself to me with a firm handshake (I’ve forgotten her name!) replied that there was two of us for surgery tomorrow – myself and a child. They will take us first come first served... I am selfishly hoping I will go in first as waiting around all morning will be tough for me!

My nurse came back to take my BP, temperature and pulse – the first of many! She announced I had a slight temperature, hmmm? Could be all the running about I did earlier or the boiling hot radiator beside my bed (which I turned off!) I’m very calm today –tired from the lack of sleep over the past few days, hopefully I’ll sleep well tonight.

Settling back to watch one of Susie’s DVDs – I was dismayed to discover House (which I was so looking forward to watching) was Region 1. Grrrrrr! Need to get hold of manuals or advice online as to how to change the region settings to multi-region! Have to settle for first series of 24 or Prison Break (neither of which I am really in the mood for) or get back into David Kelly’s Poker Player Tales book... with some chocolate... cold 7up. Hmmmm! Now that’s a plan!

I decided to write this report first! Going for a walk to the shop now... might as well before I am completely bedridden for the next few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment