Thursday, December 10, 2009

First week's over...

I've worn my CI every day since switch on, the buzzing 'hum' is still there, with horns and other consistent noises. I'm getting used to it... I think(!) Voices are just like having conversations with Donald Duck!

There's been no major progress this week, apart from weird moments like standing at top of queue for toilets in a pub - hearing the click of the lock turning in the doors... discovering the keypad on my mobile phone still beeps although I have the keypad sound switched off. The sound of footsteps in public places - there's a general bustle of noise but the clearest thing coming above it is footsteps. As the week went along, I started to 'realise' that everyone seems to have their own different walking sound!

Straining to make sense of the sounds this week was really tiring. I took the week off work on the advice of Jackie that I would need it... she was right, I did need it. With less than 3 weeks to Christmas - I'm trying to cram in all my Christmas shopping while I'm off too. I've had no time since Halloween to do anything - its all been one mad rush... between that at the CI, I'm totally exhausted.

I'm getting LOADS of Deafie asking me how the CI is working, trying to be neutral as it is too early to pass judgement just yet. If you don't read this blog - don't bother asking as 'Ah its too early' is going to be my stock answer for the next while!

My 'second switch on' appointment is tomorrow to be followed by my first aural rehabilitation (AR) appointment. The aim of the AR appointments is to accustomise to the new sounds and train myself to recognise sounds better.

I am supposed to bring in a set of goals to work towards. I had a set of goals but after a week on the CI, I am not as optimistic in producing these in AR tomorrow! Have narrowed the choices down to:

1 - Use phone
2 - Follow the banter
3 - Hear the radio

Eeek... I'm still thinking I'm being tooooo optimistic, especially as I'm barely making sense at it is. Here's hoping the second switch on produces a more positive sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment