Monday, October 26, 2009

8 days to go...

I got my letter from Beaumont Hospital confirming the operation on 4th November, admission date 3rd November... Well I'm to call on 3rd to check if there is a bed available, if not then I stay at home on 3rd and go in early on 4th.

Oh my god... that's barely 8 days!

I've always said I'm not nervous about the actual operation, but its still nerve wracking. I've met 15/16 people out of 20 who admitted to having issues after the operation - balance problems, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, extreme/loud tinnitus, loss of sensation/taste/smell, sore throat and for one person - a lot of pain. But the good thing is I will be kept in hospital for 5-7 days to treat any complication that arises.

I've been reading several CI Journey blogs lately I was struck by some of the experiences, especially the American ones, most of them are usually in for one day for the operation then sent home once they wake up! B's blog tells of her post-op experience that left her bed-ridden, her op scar is even more scary! None of the Irish CI'ee scars (that I've seen) are as big as B's either.

Meeting Susie H again this week, she recounted her operation experience (which was very positive) summing it up she was very glad to go home because the four walls were beginning to close in on her... she mentioned one thing that I was not prepared for: She was unable to drive for 3 weeks. Oh. I told my manager I needed 2 weeks off from 3rd November... hope she will be accommodating if I go over that! Driving is part of my work, plus living in Blanchardstown and travelling to Tallaght, get my hours in then be back home within 9 hours (childcare limitations) is nigh impossible using public transport!

Fiona also met me this week and reminded me that I will hate not washing my hair! My hair gets greasy after 3 days, I will be really mingling for 2 weeks! Both girls joined me as part of my new video diary on my CI Journey that I am preparing for Hands On the TV magazine programme for Deaf people in Ireland. But neither are 'Deaf' so I will need to meet and chat with other people who have a CI in the Deaf community...

As I mentioned before my identity is undergoing a huge change, when you have accepted what you have been for so long - this new aspect is huge to re-accept. I had this argument with a work colleague who pointed out that I was still 'technically deaf' but that's not the point. Anyone who watches ER will recall the ER Chief Dr Weaver going through personal and emotional torment while under going a 'new fanged' operation to repair her birth defect that left her with a hip dysplasia; which will enable her to walk without her crutch that she's used her whole life. She breaks down in one scene and hugs her crutch that she connects with her identity and struggles to accept that she will give it up... I'm going through that same parallel too; I'm replacing my hearing aid that barely works for a bionic equivalent, that may (or may not) offer a much more superior (I genuinely hope!) level of sound. A sound that may change my perspective of life, that will increase a lot of opportunities, possibly open a lot more doors... it is a huge change to consider.

8 days... that's a lot of thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment