Saturday, October 10, 2009

It's all happening sooner...

Last Monday I went into Beaumont for my final assessment, this was supposed to be the assessment by which future post-op comparisons would be made... but it didn't happen. Instead I had the most oddest waiting room experience ever!

How many of you have walked into a waiting room then engaged in a group conversation with everyone in the room? When I attend my GPs surgery, everyone usually sits in silence...

As I arrived in the CI department reception 15 minutes early, before being directed to the ENT section two doors down. Waiting the seating area, I met another Deaf girl I know, I had spotted her at the Lunch so the surprise wasn't there. As we fell into an easy chat, she claimed to be just starting her journey but the more she talked, I started getting it in my head that she was going to get her operation date today... as I shared my thoughts, she was pensive - that would be brilliant news but she didn't want to get her hopes up.

Two more patients joined us, one I knew - Karl got his CI in July, but was finding it tough to get used to the CI sounds since his switch on 2 months ago. The other was an adult deafened guy that Karl introduced me to, who had his operation on same day as Karl. Both of them were back in for 2 month check/re-programming. It was interesting listening to them compare notes, as us girls quizzed them on various CI aspects. Both found the operation easy, and got over it quickly.

Two more people joined us, I recognise one of the faces from the group meeting last August, as we acknowledged each other he asked if I had my operation date yet, as I replied, he beamed "Hey, I'm getting my operation on 18th November too!" The other person was a bigger shock for me - it was a work colleague! LOL! She isn't a member of the Deaf community but a terrific advocate for the Irish Hard of Hearing Association. As I confirmed my date, she added that her date was set for 11th November " ...and I've hundreds of questions to be answered here!" patting a folded sheet of paper. Wow, she came better prepared than me. I've tons of questions but when I get in that room - my mind goes blank...

By the time the doctor called me in 35 minutes after the appointment time - there was a great group conversation buzz going on in that waiting room!

As I entered the doctor's room, she asked to check my ears, then I had to sign a consent form for the operation "...later on this month" WHAT?! Actually I'm scheduled for 18th November... "We have a new surgeon, means we can do twice as many adults, so we have brought some of the operations forward including yours..." I was stunned! That can't be right... I've a HUGE workload to get through the next month, I can't afford to have my operation this month.

Pressing for a definite date, the doctor shook her head as the Surgeon came into the room, Dr Viani answered that Jacki will be calling me later with my new date. She asked if I had my Meningitis Vaccine yet. I hadn't but planned to get it 'this week', as this vaccine was supposed to be received 'at least 4 weeks before the CI operation' I queried if this week would still be time enough and Dr Viani reassured me it would be fine. I asked if I was getting a hearing assessment, she shook her head, they had several assessment results going back years that they can use as comparision.

As I left, I was wondering how will Jacki contact me?! Email? Text? Bewildered, I headed straight to my GP to book my vaccine. The GP offered to fit me in that afternoon - brilliant. I hardly felt it, but boy, my arm was really sore the next day!

No news from Jacki, and by Wednesday I was getting worried, so I sent her an email. She replied immediately apologising, explaining that she assumed I had been informed by Dr Viani last Monday... then the bombshell - the operation was to take place on 21st October. I panicked, the 21st was the start of a very busy week in our office and my sister's baby was being christened that weekend. I replied begging for an alternative date, and Jacki offered to ask another person to swap dates with me.

I spent two sleepless nights worrying about it (that's how serious our work schedule is!) it was Friday before I got the confirmation of the new operation date - Wednesday 4th November! Phew! Now to inform and prepare my work for the disruption of my absences... just hope my manager is in a good mood this Monday, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment